Working from home, traveling the world and selling travel – sounds ideal, right? Well , it is! Here, we break down 8 fun-facts about being a home-based travel agent, what to look forward to as a travel entrepreneur and how you can get in on the action.
- If You Love Travel, Work Won’t Feel Like Work –You’ll need to travel, explore and tour products and destinations so you can best sell them. For example, it’s common for independent travel agents to go on FAMs, or familiarization trips, with other travel agents to learn, train and experience a new cruise ship, resort or new destination. Sounds like your dream job! Just remember: this is work! Once you become a travel agent, you’ll start to view every trip through the eyes of a travel agent and always think about which trip would be perfect for your clients, which is great for your travel agency franchise, but remember to be present and “vacation” when it’s actually time for your vacation.
- Say Goodbye to Your 9 to 5 – As a home-based travel agent, you’ll be able to choose your hours, but you’ll also have to be flexible. Clients may want to meet in the morning to discuss vacation plans or you may need to host a travel night in the evening. You’ll develop a schedule that works for you and be able to plan your days around important events your typical 9 to 5 may make you miss out on, such as watching the kids’ after-school activities or actually making it to happy hour before the specials end.
- Start with a Team that Offers the Right Support and Guidance– There are plenty of good franchises for sale, but you should join a team that is like a family. Of course, many entrepreneurs want to go it alone, but how can one person be a marketing team, technology team, digital marketer and a sales person while constantly growing their business? There is just no way to focus on all of these tasks successfully and maintain strong customer service. A franchise business model provides you all of the support of a business-in-a-box, so you can focus on what’s important–selling.
- Your Office Space, Your Clothing Taste– OK, maybe you already knew there wasn’t a dress code when you work-from-home and for some people, waking up and getting right to work allows them to get the most out of their day. This extra time in the morning gives you time to hit the gym, enjoy your coffee without being rushed and relax as you plan your goals for the day. There are also studies that show getting dressed makes you more productive––to each their own. That’s the beauty of being your own boss, you make the rules.
- People Love to Take Vacations – Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) reported that more than 11 million Americans cruised in 2016 and that demand for cruising is steadily increasing. With more than 20 new cruise ships debuting in 2018, there’s plenty of cabins to fill and you have the job of filling them!
- Millennials Are Most Likely to Use Travel Agents – Surprisingly, millennials are almost twice as likely to use a travel agent as Gen Xers and Baby Boomers, according to a 2017 MMGY Global study. That doesn’t mean that Baby Boomers don’t still dominate the largest share of travel agent clients – they’re still a huge force to be marketed to!
- You Don’t Need Travel Industry Experience – If you’re new to the travel industry, you’ll be in the majority: 85% of Cruise Planners® franchisees come from outside the travel industry. Cruise Planners® hosts a 6-day in-person training to get new travel agents up to speed on all things travel. We offer online travel agent courses in the form of webinars to help your business grow. The benefit? You’ll learn from the ground up as you train with experts in the field.
- Awards Matter – Don’t you want to be a part of a company that earns the highest travel commissions because they are one of the most respected in the travel industry? How about a team that is one of the low-cost franchises with a highly valued training system? Check out our complete list of travel, franchise, business and even social giving awards – many we have earned year after year! The list continues to grow.
Cruise Planners® offers you the training, support, technology and marketing you need to get started as a home-based travel agent. Ready to be your own boss?
Travel Agency Franchise Webinars
Checkout one of our upcoming franchise webinars, find out about travel agent trainings, and learn how to open a travel agency.